In 2022 alone, the United States recorded an alarming number of data breaches, with over 1800 reports, affecting about 422 million individuals. These breaches and more others around the world led to significant financial consequences, as estimated by IBM, with an average cost of $9.4 million per breach within the US and $4.3 million globally.
Now, for enterprises, a data breach carries consequences far beyond compromised data integrity and damaged customer trust. The potential for fines and penalties looms, and the prospect of losing millions of dollars to regulatory agencies is a daunting outcome that no business desires.
This is why most businesses are constantly looking for the best SIEM tools to help them steer clear of such consequences. But navigating the landscape of available options and choosing the best SIEM tool for your company can pose a significant challenge, and one that can consume too much of your time.
You may, therefore, have come here in search of the best SIEM tools, recognizing the need to streamline your selection process and make an informed decision. Fortunately, we have prepared this resource to assist you.
Your question at this point could as well be: What are the best or top SIEM tools?
Find out next.
If you are new to SIEM and seeking a deeper understanding, I recommend checking out our article that provides insights into the question: What is SIEM?
The top 14 SIEM tools:
The following sections lay down a carefully curated list of the top 14 SIEM tools, out of the many that are available in the market today. Each has been meticulously evaluated based on criteria such as features, functionality, user reviews, and industry reputation.
This is not an ordinary list. A significant number of these tools are trusted by critical institutions like NASA, the US Air Force, and numerous others both in government and private sectors.
If you are not able to go through the entire SIEM tools list in detail because of time, here is a quick summary.
- Splunk Enterprise Security
- Fortinet FortiSIEM
- Trellix Helix
- IBM Security QRadar SIEM
- Exabeam Fusion
- AT&T Alienvault USM
- LogRhythm SIEM
- ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager
- Manage Engine Vulnerability Manager Plus
- Sumo Logic Continuous Intelligence Platform
A glimpse at how each of these SIEM tools fare in terms of crucial criteria such as Monitoring, Threat Intelligence, and support for Compliance Reporting.
|SIEM Tool||Real-time Monitoring||Threat Intelligence||Compliance Reporting|
Splunk Enterprise Security
DoD CC SRG: IL5
IRAP: Protected Section 508
IBM Security QRadar SIEM
FIPS140-2 (Level 1)
TIG / Hardening
Section 508 VPAT reports
SOC 2 Type II
ISO ( 27001, 27018)
AT&T Alienvault USM
PCI DSS 3.1
ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager
Manage Engine Vulnerability Manager Plus
Sumo Logic Continuous Intelligence Platform
Now to the details of each SIEM tool:
1. Splunk Enterprise Security
Best For: Multi-Deployed Data Visibility
Splunk Enterprise Security is all about detailed data visualization and rapid response to threats. With workflows applicable across multiple use cases, integrations with other top tools, and provisions for cloud, on-premise, and hybrid deployments, you get as much control over your security architecture as your organization demands.
Top features of Splunk Enterprise Security
- Visualize terabytes of structured and unstructured data collated from multiple locations across your cloud infrastructure.
- Utilize machine-learning algorithms and ready-made detection frameworks like MITRE ATT&CK, NIST, and CIS20 to improve your threat detection workflows.
- Threat intelligence management and risk mapping to devices, systems, and frameworks to create thresholds and reduce false positives.
The pricing model is based on a quote that is estimated from either your organization's security infrastructure workload, data ingestion volume, activities, or host entities.
2. Fortinet FortiSIEM
Best For: Scalable SIEM-as-a-Service and On-Demand Compliance
Fortinet's FortiSIEM is a Gartner-recognized Enterprise security management system that is focused on next-Gen SOC innovation.
Top features of FortiSIEM
- Unique and fully in-built Configuration Management Database (CMDB) that constantly compiles data about device application, configuration, performance, vulnerability, model association, and relationships.
- Over 1,600 ready-made analytic rules built on MITRE ATT&CK framework.
- Over 3,500 ready-to-use reports for on-demand security compliance.
Prices are determined based on a quote. You can request a free demo.
3. Trellix Helix
Best For: Mid-sized organizations looking for response automation capabilities
With a focus on high-level Security Automation and Orchestration Response (SOAR), Trellix Helix combines analytics and machine learning, as well as plug & play capabilities, to give its over 40,000 customers security architectures they can rely on.
Top features of Trellix Helix
- Cloud-based Plug & Play ecosystem with over 650 integrations.
- A centralized platform for search, investigation, analysis, and alert management.
- ML-powered behavior benchmarking through User Entity Behavior Analytics (UEBA)
Trellix Helix's pricing is based on a quote and you can schedule a demo to see it in action.
4. IBM Security QRadar SIEM
Best For: Enterprises with AWS Network Environments
The IBM Security QRadar SIEM has utilized AI and real-world intelligence to help users save over 14,000 hours and reduce risks by 60%. Available as a service on AWS, its main focus is on endpoint security.
Top features of IBM Security QRadar
- AWS-powered SIEM-as-a-Service that helps you save on expensive hardware and Suite software.
- Ingest data directly from your AWS environment into your SIEM thanks to integration with 10 native AWS services.
- Full-Suite Security Offer with extended EDR, Log Insight, and award-winning SOAR capabilities
Talking of AWS, some businesses, especially in the small to medium spectrum, often find themselves uncertain about whether this platform is suitable for their needs. If you share similar doubts, this article that examines the usefulness of AWS specifically for small businesses will provide you with a comprehensive perspective.
Prices are estimated based on either your usage model such as Events Per Second (EPS) and Flows Per Minute (FPM) or the number of managed virtual servers used. On-premise integrations allow for both subscription and perpetual purchases. You can request a demo to understand how the solution can best serve your organization.
5. Exabeam Fusion
Best For: Enterprise Integration With Over 500 External Security Solutions
Exabeam Fusion is a cloud-native SIEM powered by machine learning and AI capabilities. The solution is a recipient of awards and recognition from various institutions like Forbes and Gartner.
Top features of Exabeam Fusion
- Scalable log management, sped up by over 9,470 pre-built parsers examining over one million events per second (1m EPS).
- Hundreds of pre-built and customizable dashboards to visualize security data and achieve compliance.
- Integration with over 200 on-premise, over 10 SaaS, over 20 cloud infrastructure, and 34 cloud security products.
Pricing based on the user organization's specific needs. You can request a demo to try it out.
Best For: Customizable Behavioral Analytics
Datadog’s SIEM is a cloud-based solution with integrations that give an immediate and detailed overview of security data. You have access to customization capabilities, as well as real-time, low-maintenance SIEM analytics plus reporting.
Top features of Datadog
- Over 600 built-in SaaS, endpoint, and identity management integrations that allows teams to collate and parse data while collaborating remotely.
- Use no-code customizable behavioral rules alongside rules preset in the MITRE ATT&CK® framework
- Round-the-clock indexing and intelligence feeds for large and complex data volumes.
Datadog charges a monthly fee of $0.20 per GB of logs parsed when you pay annually. This goes up to $0.30 if you request SIEM features on the go. They also have a free trial.
Best For: Users without technical expertise in insights and compliance
SolarWinds SIEM comes with ready-made features and an intuitive UI that simplifies log management and reading for less experienced users. It comes with easy compliance audits and reporting, as well as 24/7 cyber threat intelligence and response.
Top features of SolarWinds SIEM
- Automated compliance verification and risk management
- pfSense log analyzer
- Log-on and log-off event monitoring
- Ransomware detection and other file integrity monitoring capabilities
Pricing for subscriptions starts at $2,877, while pricing for perpetual purchases starts at $5,607. You can get quotes to add more device support to your SIEM workflows. Here, the additional pricing is based on log sources rather than log volume, which can help keep costs down.
8. AT&T Alienvault USM
Best For: Industry-specific applications
AT&T is the largest network operator in North America and through the Alienvault USM, the company offers a reliably tested SIEM solution. Customers get threat intelligence, intrusion detection, cloud monitoring, vulnerability assessment, and asset management at industry-wide levels on one platform.
Top features of AT&T Alienvault USM
- Fully built-in capabilities when it comes to endpoint detection, continuous intelligence response, cloud monitoring, file integrity monitoring, IDS management, and asset discovery.
- Optimized solutions across finance, healthcare, manufacturing, retail, cloud, mobile, and networking sectors.
- Simplified threat categories for easy interpretation of attack intent and severity.
The pricing structure is split into three classes — Essentials (starts at $1,075), Standard (starts at $1,695), and Premium (starts at $2,595). You can enjoy a 14-day free trial and get quotes for more personalized pricing plans.
9. LogRhythm SIEM
Best For: Small teams
LogRhythm offers a SIEM solution trusted by over 4,000 security operations teams across the world, including the US Air Force, NASA, and UCLA. It allows you to get started on your security architecture immediately and evolve when needed thanks to ready-made content and threat research.
Top features of LogRhythm SIEM
- Over 950 integrations with third-party platforms.
- Over 1,100 preconfigured rules for behavioral baselining
- Automated responses
- On-premise and IaaS deployments
- SaaS access to SIEM through LogRhythm Cloud deployment
The pricing is based on a quote and is available through a unified license program (ULP). Here, you have the freedom to choose between subscription and perpetual licensing plans.
Best For: Advanced search and intuitive dashboard customization
With over 200,000 users and 50,000 installations, Graylog offers reliable security frameworks to work with. It is trusted by Cisco and the Australian tax office, has a 4.3 rating from Gartner peer reviews, and holds the 2023 Globe Gold awards on Security and IT, among others.
Top features of Graylog
- Advanced search capabilities that allow sifting through terabytes of data in mere milliseconds.
- Build reports with visualization widgets and automatically send out copies to email addresses.
- Immediate alerts on abnormalities through Slack, SMS, PagerDuty, and Email platforms.
Graylog is available through three pricing plans — a free self-managed Graylog Open plan, the Graylog Operations plan ($1,250 per month), and the most advanced Graylog Security plan ($1,550 per month).
11. ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager
Best For: Enterprise-Level On-Premise Deployments
ArcSight SIEM is a product from Micro Focus that works with a native ArcSight SOAR to provide an automated, intuitive, and comprehensive threat intelligence and security management system. Micro Focus was recognized as a Visionary in Gartner's 2022 Magic Quadrant for SIEM.
Top features of ArcSight SIEM
- Customizable threat detection rules to personalize SIEM solutions to fit specific needs.
- Utilize SOAR capabilities to automate incident management and hasten threat defense and remediation actions.
- Ready-made behavioral analytics through integrated MITRE ATT&CK framework.
Micro Focus requires you to schedule a consultation to get specific pricing for your organization. You may request a demo to enjoy a free trial.
12. Manage Engine Vulnerability Manager Plus
Best For: Cross-OS Compatibility
The ManageEngine Vulnerability Manager Plus focuses on providing visibility through advanced scanning, compliance, auditing, and security configuration workflows. This is one of the very few SIEM tools that support security management on MacOS.
Top features of ManageEngine Vulnerability Manager Plus
- Patch management with MacOS, Windows, and Linux, among 500 other applications.
- Utilization of complex passwords and privilege configuration to meet over 75 CIS and STIG compliance benchmarks.
- Vulnerability prioritization according to age, severity, and fixability.
- Ready-to-use pre-built security framework.
Available across three pricing editions — a Free Edition for up to 25 computers, a Professional Edition, and an Enterprise Edition that places more focus on compliance, patch management, and pre-built scripts.
13. Sumo Logic Continuous Intelligence Platform
Best For: Continuous Enterprise-Level Real-Time Intelligence Gathering
The Sumo Logic Continuous Intelligence Platform is trusted by companies like Samsung and SEGA. These top companies, alongside over 100,000 other users, utilize it for continuous security, business, and operational intelligence across the globe.
Top features of Sumo Logic Continuous Intelligence Platform
- Multi-cloud intelligence gathering and API integrations with VMware, AWS GuardDuty, Okta, and Office 365
- Compatibility with extended data formats collected from applications, cloud systems, and IoT devices.
- Insights on set Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), Key Result Indicators (KRIs), and Service-Level Indicators (SLIs) of security systems.
The pricing is request based. You contact a sales personnel to help you determine a quote for your organization. You can also request a demo to try out the tool for free.
Best For: Fast Threat Response and Access to Data
Known as the Unified Defence SIEM Platform, the Securonix SIEM offers scalable security data management, UEBA, and XDR capabilities. It is powered (and invested into) by Snowflake and recognized as a Customer's Choice in Gartner's 2023 Peer Insights. Snowflake is a leading high-demand cloud platform specifically suited for processing massive volumes of data.
Top features of Securonix
- Quick threat hunting and response
- Continuous threat data collation to create an accurate baseline and reduce false positives
The pricing is determined by a quote. They also offer a demo to help potential customers get a feel of how the tool works.
Making the call: How to pick the right SIEM tool for your needs
Forbes reports a worrisome increase of over 7 percent in cyberattacks during the first quarter of 2023. While these threats are alarming, it's important not to rush into choosing any SIEM tool that comes your way.
Start by weighting your security needs against available offerings. Take advantage of demos and free trials whenever available, and be cautious not to pay for extra features your organization may not need.
SIEM Tools FAQ
What are the key features of a SIEM tool?
Key features of SIEM tools include log collection and aggregation, real-time event monitoring, threat intelligence integration, advanced analytics, incident response automation, compliance reporting, and user behavior analysis.
How does a SIEM tool work?
SIEM tools collect and analyze log data from various sources such as network devices, servers, applications, and security devices. They use correlation rules and advanced analytics to identify patterns and detect potential security incidents. Alerts are generated based on predefined rules, enabling security teams to investigate and respond to threats.
What are the benefits of using SIEM tools?
Some benefits of using SIEM tools include improved threat detection and response capabilities, enhanced compliance management, increased visibility into security events, reduced incident response time, and better overall security posture for the organization.
Can SIEM tools integrate with other security solutions?
Yes, SIEM tools can integrate with other security solutions such as intrusion detection/prevention systems (IDS/IPS), firewalls, antivirus software, threat intelligence feeds, and vulnerability management tools. This integration allows for comprehensive security monitoring and a more effective response to potential threats.
Are SIEM tools suitable for small businesses?
SIEM tools can be beneficial for small businesses, especially those with valuable data and a need for strong security. However, the complexity and cost associated with implementing and managing SIEM systems can be challenging for smaller organizations with limited resources. In such cases, managed SIEM services or cloud-based SIEM solutions can be more practical options.
How do I choose the right SIEM tool for my organization?
When choosing a SIEM tool, consider factors such as your organization's size, IT infrastructure, compliance requirements, budget, and specific security needs. Evaluate features, scalability, ease of use, vendor reputation, customer support, and integration capabilities. It is also recommended to request demos or trials to assess how well the SIEM tool aligns with your requirements.
Can SIEM tools prevent all security incidents?
While SIEM tools are powerful for threat detection and incident response, they cannot guarantee the prevention of all security incidents. They serve as a proactive security measure, but a comprehensive security strategy should also include preventive measures such as strong access controls, regular patching, employee training, and network segmentation.
Are open-source SIEM tools a good choice?
Open-source SIEM tools can be a viable option for organizations with limited budgets or specific customization needs. However, they may require more technical expertise to set up, configure, and maintain compared to commercial SIEM solutions. Consider factors such as community support, available features, and the level of customization required before choosing an open-source SIEM tool.