Most companies in the RMM software market are privately held, and so details relating to financial metrics can be rare. But a look at revenues of a couple of RMM software vendors plus movements such as mergers, spinoffs and acquisitions, reveal valuable MSP trends that point to a market that is quickly growing in value.
For example, N-able’s Q3 2022 results indicate $93.5 million in total revenue, a 6% year -on-year growth. Before Datto’s acquisition by Kaseya for $6.2 billion, its Q1 2022 revenue was $170.8 million, an increase of 18% from Q1 2021 revenue.
All these actions point to a growing demand for RMM tools as more and more organizations are under pressure to get their uptime right. This pressure is automatically transferred to Managed Service Providers because they play a pivotal role here — that of managing the IT infrastructure of organizations. As an MSP, therefore, it helps to make sure that you are using the best RMM software that there is — or at least one that meets your needs head on!
This article provides the best RMM tools, making it convenient to compare and choose the ultimate partner that will help you keep tabs on your customers' infrastructure.
Functions of RMM Software
The key functions of RMM are based on the two critical roles that essentially make the name i.e. monitoring and management, ensuring that essential clients’ systems and devices such as servers, mobile devices and desktops are always up and running efficiently.
Here are the key functions that RMM tools serve:
- Monitoring & Management: RMM software helps managed service providers to remotely monitor and manage their client networks, and simplify the execution of critical management functions such as configurations, patching and updates. By using RMM, MSPs can keep an eye on network activity and performance, identify potential disruptions early enough, and quickly resolve any issues that do arise.
- Automation: RMM software helps MSPs to automate many of the critical technical tasks, such as configurations, patching, and backups. This frees up time for MSP teams to focus on other areas of the business, and helps to improve efficiency and productivity.
- Security: RMM software provides MSPs with powerful tools for managing security. You can set up firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems, and implement other security measures to help protect clients' networks from attack.
- Troubleshooting: RMM software can help MSPs to troubleshoot problems more effectively. By tracking events and providing detailed logs, MSPs can quickly identify the root cause of any problems that occur on their client networks.
- Understanding needs: With RMM, MSPs can better understand their clients' needs thanks to detailed reports on network usage and activity. This information can be used to tailor services and support packages more effectively, leading to happier clients and improved customer satisfaction levels.
When you find the right RMM that enables you to properly execute all the above functions, then your MSP gets to enjoy the numerous benefits of RMM which include a significant reduction in labor costs, high operational efficiency, and the ability to scale your business regionally or even globally.
Best RMM for MSPs
Of course there are many competing RMM tools in the market. Your most important task is to select one that will not only meet your MPS’s needs but also allow you to work within your budget. In other words you want a tool that has the right balance between affordability and performance quality. To make the right choice, you may want to consider conducting an RMM software comparison to evaluate different RMM tools based on factors such as features, pricing, user experience, etc.
To help you pick right, here is a list of the best RMM for MSPs:
Atera is a very popular RMM for MSPs who want to streamline their workflows and save time. With Atera, you can monitor unlimited devices at a fixed price, making it easy to budget for your RMM needs. In addition, Atera's platform is designed to be highly scalable, so you can easily add or remove devices as your business grows.
- Free trial, no credit cards required.
- Supports Windows, Mac and other popular operating systems.
- Unlimited devices per technician.
- Quick onboarding.
- Very easy to use.
- No training required.
- Integration for popular MSP applications.
NinjaRMM - by NinjaOne
One great advantage of Ninja RMM is simplicity, delivering efficient remote monitoring and management for the most important systems that your clients use.
With a modern interface plus an intuitive navigation and efficient workflows, you can always be sure to scale from a few devices to hundreds of devices for each of your technicians. All this with very minimal training required. Not even intense management resources are necessary.
- Free trial with access to all features, no credit card required.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Intuitive interface and navigation.
- Comprehensive automation capabilities including monitoring and remediation.
- No extra training required thanks to the use of standard scripting languages.
- Single source of truth powered by a unified data model.
- Supports Windows, Mac, Linux, VM machines.
- Integration for popular apps including TeamViewer and Splashtop.
- Policy-based management.
- Role-based access permissions and SSO-based login.
Auvik is incredibly user-friendly, and can be deployed in under an hour to all clients while customizing it to their needs.
Its super scalability means you are able to increase the number of devices without scaling your team. The TrafficInsights™ feature gives MSPs the best opportunity to manage risk without incurring more expenses.
- Real-time network visibility and asset management.
- Real-time response to network issues.
- Automated configurations, backup and recovery.
- Intelligent traffic analysis.
- Intuitive network navigation with ability to separate and zoom into specific devices.
- Multi-site management.
- Login security tools such as 2 FA and audit logs.
- Powerful APIs to help with creation of workflows.
SuperOps.ai is a remote monitoring and management software that helps IT professionals to manage and monitor their networks remotely. The software includes a variety of features that make it easy to keep track of network performance, identify and troubleshoot problems, and manage security settings. SuperOps.ai also provides users with real-time alerts so that they can take action quickly if any problems occur.
- 21 days free trial, no credit card.
- The free trial grants complete access to Superops' suite of MSP tools that include RMM, PSA, client management, contract management, project management, IT documentation, and proactive asset management with remediation tools.
- Rule-based alerts, powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Efficient patch management.
Datto RMM provides real-time visibility into network performance and health, and it enables MSPs to proactively resolve issues before they cause downtime. In addition, Datto RMM includes powerful automation features that can help MSPs automate common tasks, such as patch management. With Datto RMM, MSPs can provide their clients with the peace of mind that comes from knowing their networks are being monitored and managed around the clock.
- Intense focus on security.
- Monthly updates/releases.
- Robust support.
- Custom policies and scripts.
- Automatic threat alerts.
- Topology maps that give clear visibility of client networks.
- One-click remote access and control, based on HTML 5.
- Easy integration with top MSP applications.
- Ransomware detection.
N-Sight RMM — by N-able
N-Sight RMM software is a comprehensive remote monitoring and management solution that helps MSPs to improve their service delivery and efficiency. The tool provides MSPs with a centralized platform for managing their clients' IT infrastructure, including desktops, servers, networks, and cloud-based applications. With N-Sight RMM, MSPs can remotely monitor and manage their clients' IT systems from a single console, improving service quality and reducing operational costs. This RMM also includes a powerful set of tools for troubleshooting IT issues.
- 30 days free trial. No credit card.
- Voted best in CRN for two years.
- Drag and drop automation.
- Live chat features.
- Customizable customer portal.
- Support Android, Windows and Apple devices.
- Layered security.
- Built-in automation scripts as well as patching policies.
- Predictable pricing (better than per tech pricing).
ConnectWise Automate is one of the most popular remote monitoring and management (RMM) solutions on the market. And for good reason: it's packed with features that make it easy to manage and monitor your clients' networks, it's backed by excellent customer support, and its price point is very competitive. Not to mention, ConnectWise Automate integrates with a wide range of other tools and platforms, making it even more powerful and versatile.
- Free trial available on request basis.
- Fast response times.
- Agentless monitoring (for virtualized hardware).
- Simultaneous multiple machine management.
- Easy network device discovery.
- Manage more endpoints at no extra cost or headcount.
MSP360 RMM is designed to help MSPs manage and monitor their customers’ IT infrastructure remotely. The software provides a centralized platform for managing all aspects of an MSP's business, including client computers, servers, networks, and applications. The software also includes a variety of tools for monitoring system performance, identifying potential problems, and resolving issues quickly. In addition, MSP360 RMM includes a powerful reporting engine that helps MSPs track their performance and identify areas for improvement. Overall, MSP360 RMM is an essential tool for any MSP that wants to improve its efficiency and deliver better service to its clients.
- 15 days free trial.
- Unlimited endpoint management.
- Supports Windows and macOS.
- Centralized dashboard for efficient resource monitoring.
- Bulk update installation.
- Automated alerts and reports.
- Continuous scanning for viruses.
- Task scheduling.
Founded in 2005, Centreon provides business-aware IT monitoring that helps MSPs identify and resolve issues before they cause downtime. The RMM uses AI-powered analytics to identify potential problems and provides real-time visibility into every aspect of the IT infrastructure. This allows MSPs to proactively resolve issues and prevent outages. Centreon RMM equally provides extensive reporting capabilities that help MSPs measure performance and demonstrate the value of their services to customers. This makes it an essential tool for MSPs that want to provide ‘always-on operations’ and performance excellence.
- Free for 100 devices, forever.
- Custom dashboards.
- Custom analytics and reports.
- Seamless integration with popular MSP apps.
- 3,000+ ready-to-monitor configuration templates.
- Open Source version available.
Kaseya VSA RMM provides an all-in-one endpoint management, helping MSPs to eliminate inefficiency. It supports all infrastructure environments, from cloud and hybrid to premise, and can manage any type of device, from mobile devices to business IoT. The interface is very easy to use, allowing the execution of all endpoint functions from a single interface. This makes it an ideal platform for MSPs looking to improve their efficiency and reduce their costs.
- 14 days free trial.
- Automated workflows.
- Threat detection.
- 2 Factor Authentication.
- Mobile management.
- Unified backup consisting DRaaS and BCDR.
- Compliance management.
Pulseway RMM is built to help MSPs and IT teams reduce downtime and set new standards for efficiency through automation.
Their full feature mobile app gives you the ability to monitor and manage all operations across multiple networks from your phone or tablet, delivering the true meaning of remote monitoring and management. You have a full and real-time view of all operations, so you can quickly identify and resolve any issues that arise.
- Easy to set up and deploy.
- Intuitive interface.
- Auto discovery engine.
- Ability to monitor anything from network devices to Servers and Virtual Machines.
- Fast mobile version.
- Self-service portal.
- Easy integration with popular apps such as Slack and Zendesk.
- Early alerts, before users even notice.
Addigy RMM is focussed on Apple devices. i.e Apple remote monitoring and management. It recognizes that Apple devices are increasingly surpassing the use of Windows machines in workplaces. This means that MSPs that manage organizations that use Apple devices will need specialized RMM software, and so Addigy has moved in to fill this gap.
Therefore if you are an MSP in need of an RMM that is properly suited for devices that run macOS, iPadOS, iOS, tvOS, then Addigy is the kind of RMM you might want to give a try.
- Free trial provided.
- Built for Apple devices.
- 100% cloud.
- Very easy to use.
- Quick onboarding of new users (less than 5 minutes).
- Real-time access to all managed devices.
- Single-click remote access.
- Compliance tools.
- Superior support.
Barracuda RMM is unique in that it features a built-in security assessment tool. This enables MSPs to assess their customers' networks and recommend suitable solutions from a centralized dashboard. The monitoring and alert features are all real-time, making it easy to manage customer networks remotely, schedule routine tasks and remediate issues as they arise.
- Free trial on request.
- Built-in security assessment tool.
- 200+ pre-built remediation scripts.
- Free remote IT support tool.
- 150+ customizable reports.
- Central dashboard with a view of all customer environments.
- Integration with popular applications such as Office 365, Hyper-V.
Comodo One RMM is a cloud-based remote monitoring and management solution for IT professionals. It gives you complete visibility and control over all your clients’ IT assets, from PCs and servers to network equipment and software. With Comodo One RMM, you can monitor and manage all client devices from a single, centralized platform. This saves you time and money by eliminating the need to deploy and manage multiple monitoring tools. It’s also easy to use, with a user-friendly interface that makes it simple to get started.
- 30 days free trial.
- 1,000,000+ users.
- Centralized client management platform.
- Easy to set up and deploy.
- Built-in automation wizards.
- Detection of missing patches.
- Audit logs for easy tracking.
- Free onboarding and training.
Site24x7 RMM is a complete remote monitoring and management tool that helps MSPs to monitor, manage, and troubleshoot their customers’ IT infrastructure from a single console. It provides a comprehensive view of all the devices, including servers, workstations, applications, networking equipment, and more. It also allows you to remotely control these devices, enabling you to provide hands-on support when needed by your clients. In addition, Site24x7 includes a powerful automation engine that can be used to automate tasks such as patch management, configuration management, and more.
- 30 days free trial.
- Website monitoring.
- Speed monitoring for web pages.
- Server monitoring (DNS).
- Monitoring for website availability (HTTP and HTTPS).
- SSL/TLS Certificate Monitoring.
- SOAP Web Service Monitoring.
- REST APIs.
- Log management.
- Application monitoring.
- AWS monitoring for over 35+ cloud services.
- Application troubleshooting.
Also Read: Backup & Recovery Solutions for MSPs
As an MSP, you are always on the lookout for new tools that will help you better serve your clients. But you must have realized that the monitoring and management tools that used to shine years ago may no longer keep up. What was once cutting-edge may quickly become outdated.
That's where the modern MSP RMM tools we have featured here come into play. As businesses continue to demand more from MSPs, don't wait to start losing clients for you to act. Lead the way, and use the best and modern RMM tools to confidently monitor and manage your clients' networks. You'll not only simplify your team's work but also demonstrate to your customers that your MSP cares about the well being of their infrastructure.
Remote Management & Monitoring FAQ
What is RMM software?
RMM is a tool that helps businesses to manage and monitor their clients' IT infrastructure remotely. By using RMM tools, MSPs can reduce the need for on-site staff to provide support and maintenance, as well as save on associated costs. RMM software typically includes a range of features such as patch management, remote control, and monitoring.
MSPs use RMM tools to gain real-time visibility into their clients' systems and allow them to proactively manage and resolve issues before they become problems.
What is the difference between RMM software and PSA software?
Just as the name suggests, RMM software is designed to help MSPs to remotely monitor and manage their clients' IT infrastructure. PSA software, on the other hand, is designed to help MSPs automate key business processes such as sales, marketing, project management, and customer support. So while RMM software focuses on enabling MSPs to deliver proactive IT services, PSA software helps MSPs run their businesses more efficiently. In other words RMM software provides the visibility and control needed to deliver quality IT services, whereas PSA software streamlines key business processes to help MSPs operate more effectively and grow their businesses. So yes, both RMM and PSA software are essential for MSPs, but they serve fundamentally different purposes.
Interested in learning more about Managed IT Services?
Check out these posts from our MSP Blog:
- Top Benefits of Managed IT Services
- Managed IT Checklist: Is It Time for an IT MSP?
- Managed Services vs. Staff Augmentation
- Managed Services vs. Professional Services
- What is the Difference Between MSP and MSSP?
- Questions to Ask Your MSP
- MSP Contracts Explained
- MSP Pricing Explained
- Top 8 MSP Industry Trends
- Top MSP Certifications
- How to Start an MSP?
- MSP Backup & Disaster Recovery Solutions